The Emergency Medical Technician Program offered by Santa Rosa Junior College is a semester long program designed to train individuals in the concepts of basic life support emergency care. Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be eligible to take the National Registry EMT-B written exam, for certification.
First Responder - Emergency First Responder (EMR) (EMC 100). A copy of your completion certificate and current CPR card will be required on the 3rd class meeting.
****MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE TO PARTICIPATE IN EMC 103***
Limit of Enrollment
- You are required to have a Department of Justice (DOJ)/Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Live Scan completed to be eligible for this class.
background checkprocess requires applicants to be at least 18 years of age. Students not meeting this qualification will not be allowed to continue the class.
- For additional information please visit the website. (Live Scan information)
- A clean 10-panel drug test will be required. This test must be submitted by the 3rd class meeting.
- You will also need to provide proof of the following immunizations before the 3rd class meeting:
- Measels, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (Tdap)
- (2) Varicella (titer, vaccine series or proof of having disease)
- Flu (most recent vaccine series)
- TB test (within 6 months)
***Please click below for more detailed information on Vaccination requirements and Uniform rquirements.
About the Career
So you want to be an Emergency Medical Technician?
What does an EMT do?
- Responds to emergent and non-emergent incidents that involve victims of illness or injury
- Performs scene size-up and orders additional resources at emergent and non-emergent incidents
- Provides emergent lifesaving care to victims of serious illness or injury
- Provides non-emergent patient care and inter-facility transportation
What do EMTs earn in Sonoma County?
Entry Level $28,000 - $32,000
Experienced $35,000 - $40,000
Top Pay $45,000 - $49,000
Additional employee benefits usually provided.
What abilities and skills should I have?
- Clean driving record and clean criminal record
- Good physical condition
- Ability to remain calm and multitask during stressful situations
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to work overtime desirable
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to follow orders
What's the work environment like?
- Outdoors in various types of environmental conditions
- Stressful at times
- Shift work varying from 8 to 48 hours in duration
- Team oriented
- Emergency Medical Technician Career Ladder
- Field Supervisor
- Field EMT
Why Choose the Emergency Medical Technician Certificate program at Santa Rosa Junior College?
- One-on-one training
- Experienced instructors
- Latest equipment
- Strong industry ties
- Affordable tuition
- Financial aid
- Industry tours
- Convenient location
Get a head start in high school! (See your high school's Career Pathway program.)
The Career Pathways are products of a partnership between Santa Rosa Junior College and Sonoma County High Schools. This partnership and the maintenance of this Web site are funded by the Carl Perkins Vocational Technology Education Act of 1998.